spark-user mailing list archives

From Steve Nunez <snu...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Pairwise Processing of a List
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2015 00:32:38 GMT
Spark Experts,

I've got a list of points: List[(Float, Float)]) that represent (x,y) coordinate pairs and
need to sum the distance. It's easy enough to compute the distance:

case class Point(x: Float, y: Float) {
  def distance(other: Point): Float =
    sqrt(pow(x - other.x, 2) + pow(y - other.y, 2)).toFloat
}

(in this case I create a 'Point' class, but the maths are the same).

What I can't figure out is the 'right' way to sum distances between all the points. I can
make this work by traversing the list with a for loop and using indices, but this doesn't
seem right.

Anyone know a clever way to process List[(Float, Float)]) in a pairwise fashion?

Regards,
- Steve