spark-user mailing list archives

From Raghav Shankar <raghav0110...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Submitting Spark Applications using Spark Submit
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2015 02:42:09 GMT
The documentation says spark.driver.userClassPathFirst can only be used in cluster mode. Does
this mean I have to set the --deploy-mode option for spark-submit to cluster? Or can I still
use the default client? My understanding is that even in the default deploy mode, spark still
uses the slave machines I have on ec2.

Also, the spark.driver.extraLibraryPath property mentions that I can provide a path for special
libraries on the spark-submit command line options. Do my jar files in this path have to be
the same name as the jar used by spark, or is it intelligent enough to identify that two jars
are supposed to be the same thing? If they are supposed to be the same name, how can I find
out the name I should use for my jar? Eg: If I just name my modified spark-core jar as spark.jar
and put in a lib folder and provide the path of the folder to spark-submit would that be enough
to tell Spark to use that spark-core jar instead of the default?

Thanks,
Raghav

> On Jun 16, 2015, at 7:19 PM, Will Briggs <wrbriggs@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If this is research-only, and you don't want to have to worry about updating the jars
installed by default on the cluster, you can add your custom Spark jar using the "spark.driver.extraLibraryPath"
configuration property when running spark-submit, and then use the experimental " spark.driver.userClassPathFirst"
config to force it to use yours.

> See here for more details and options: https://spark.apache.org/docs/1.4.0/configuration.html
>
> On June 16, 2015, at 10:12 PM, Raghav Shankar <raghav0110.cs@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I made the change so that I could implement top() using treeReduce(). A member on here
suggested I make the change in RDD.scala to accomplish that. Also, this is for a research
project, and not for commercial use.

> So, any advice on how I can get the spark submit to use my custom built jars would be
very useful.

> Thanks,
> Raghav
>
>> On Jun 16, 2015, at 6:57 PM, Will Briggs <wrbriggs@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In general, you should avoid making direct changes to the Spark source code. If you
are using Scala, you can seamlessly blend your own methods on top of the base RDDs using implicit
conversions.