this jira seems to be connected to our issue

On 2 June 2015 at 19:54, Josh Rosen <rosenville@gmail.com> wrote:
Ah, interesting.  While working on my new Tungsten shuffle manager, I came up with some nice testing interfaces for allowing me to manually trigger spills in order to deterministically test those code paths without requiring large amounts of data to be shuffled.  Maybe I could make similar test interface changes to the existing shuffle code, which might make it easier to reproduce this in an isolated environment.