spark-user mailing list archives

From Ali Tajeldin EDU <alitedu1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Request for submitting Spark jobs in code purely, without jar
Date Thu, 22 Oct 2015 17:28:31 GMT
The Spark job-server project may help (https://github.com/spark-jobserver/spark-jobserver).
--
Ali

On Oct 21, 2015, at 11:43 PM, 陈宇航 <yuhang.chen@foxmail.com> wrote:

> Hi developers, I've encountered some problem with Spark, and before opening an issue,
I'd like to hear your thoughts.

> Currently, if you want to submit a Spark job, you'll need to write the code, make a jar,
and then submit it with spark-submit or org.apache.spark.launcher.SparkLauncher.

> But sometimes, the RDD operation chain is transferred dynamically in code, from SQL or
even GUI. thus it seems either inconvenient or not possible to make a separated jar. Then
I tried something like below:
> val conf = new SparkConf().setAppName("Demo").setMaster("yarn-client")
> val sc = new SparkContext(conf)
> sc.textFile("README.md").flatMap(_.split(" ")).map((_, 1)).reduceByKey(_+_).foreach(println)
// A simple word count
> When they are executed, a Spark job is submitted. However, there are some remaining problems:
> 1. It doesn't support all deploy modes, such as yarn-cluster.
> 2. With the "Only 1 SparkContext in 1 JVM" limit, I can not run this twice.
> 3. It runs within the same process with my code, no child process is created.
>
> Thus, what I wish for is that the problems can be handle by Spark itself, and my request
can be simply described as a "adding submit() method for SparkContext / StreamingContext /
SQLContext". I hope if I added a line after the code above like this:
> sc.submit()
> then Spark can handle all background submitting processing for me.
>
> I already opened an issue before for this demand, but I couldn't make myself clear back
then. So I wrote this email and try to talk to you guys. Please reply if you need further
descriptions, and I'll open a issue for this if you understand my demand and believe that
it's something worth doing.