spark-user mailing list archives

From Jörn Franke <jornfra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving Hive metastore to Solid State Disks
Date Sun, 17 Apr 2016 10:29:05 GMT

You could also explore the in-memory database of 12c . However, I am not sure how beneficial
it is for Oltp scenarios.

I am excited to see how the performance will be on hbase as a hive metastore.

Nevertheless, your results on Oracle/SSD will be beneficial for the community.

> On 17 Apr 2016, at 11:52, Mich Talebzadeh <mich.talebzadeh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have had my Hive metastore database on Oracle 11g supporting concurrency (with added
transactional capability)

> Over the past few days I created a new schema on Oracle 12c on Solid State Disks (SSD)
and used databump (exdp, imdp) to migrate Hive database from Oracle 11g to Oracle 12c on SSD.

> Couple of years ago I did some work for OLTP operations (many random access via index
scan plus serial scans) for Oracle 11g and SAP ASE 15.7. I noticed that for Random Access
with Index scans the performance improves by a factor of 20  because of much faster seek time
for SSD

> https://www.scribd.com/doc/119707722/IOUG-SELECT-Q312-Final
>
> I have recently seen some contention for access resources in Hive database, so I think
going to SSD will improve the performance of Hive in general.

> I will look at AWR reports to see how beneficial this set up is as this Oracle instance
is more and less dedicated to Hive.