I am doing the 1. currently using the following and it takes a lot of time. Whats the advantage of doing 2 and how to do it?

sqlContext.sql("  CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE IF NOT EXISTS records (id STRING,
record STRING) PARTITIONED BY (datePartition STRING, idPartition STRING)
stored as ORC LOCATION '/user/users' ")
      sqlContext.sql("  orc.compress= SNAPPY")
      sqlContext.sql(
        """ from recordsTemp ps   insert overwrite table users
partition(datePartition , idPartition )  select ps.id, ps.record ,
ps.datePartition, ps.idPartition  """.stripMargin)