I've just created https://apache-spark.slack.com

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 9:28 AM, Paweł Szulc <paul.szulc@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

well I guess the advantage of gitter over maling list is the same as with IRC. It's not actually a replacer because mailing list is also important. But it is lot easier to build a community around tool with ad-hoc ability to connect with each other.

I have gitter running on constantly, I visit my favorite OSS projects on it from time to time to read what has recently happened. It allows me to stay in touch with the project, help fellow developers to with problems they have.
One might argue that u can achive the same with mailing list, well it's hard for me to put this into words.. Malinig list is more of an async nature (which is good!) but some times you need more "real-time" experience. You know, engage in the conversation in the given moment, not conversation that might last few days :)

TLDR: It is not a replacement, it's supplement to build the community around OSS. Worth having for real-time conversations.