spark-user mailing list archives

From Jörn Franke <jornfra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spark Streaming-- for each new file in HDFS
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2016 17:31:42 GMT
Hi,
I recommend that the third party application puts an empty file with the same filename as
the original file, but the extension ".uploaded". This is an indicator that the file has been
fully (!) written to the fs. Otherwise you risk only reading parts of the file.
Then, you can have a file system listener for this .upload file.

Spark streaming or Kafka are not needed/suitable, if the server is a file server. You can
use oozie (maybe with a simple custom action) to poll for .uploaded files and transmit them.

> On 15 Sep 2016, at 19:00, Kappaganthu, Sivaram (ES) <Sivaram.Kappaganthu@ADP.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a newbie to spark and I have  below requirement.
>
> Problem statement : A third party application is dumping files continuously in a server.
Typically the count of files is 100 files  per hour and each file is of size less than 50MB.
My application has to  process those files.

> Here
> 1) is it possible  for spark-stream to trigger a job after a file is placed instead of
triggering a job at fixed batch interval?
> 2) If it is not possible with Spark-streaming, can we control this with Kafka/Flume
>
> Thanks,
> Sivaram
>
> This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the addressee and may
contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of the message is not
the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, notify the sender immediately by return email and
delete the message and any attachments from your system.