spark-user mailing list archives

From Robin East <robin.e...@xense.co.uk>
Subject Re: MLib : Non Linear Optimization
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2016 07:59:46 GMT
The TFOCS package is announced here: https://databricks.com/blog/2015/11/02/announcing-the-spark-tfocs-optimization-package.html
<https://databricks.com/blog/2015/11/02/announcing-the-spark-tfocs-optimization-package.html>

Robin East
Spark GraphX in Action Michael Malak and Robin East
Manning Publications Co.
http://www.manning.com/books/spark-graphx-in-action <http://www.manning.com/books/spark-graphx-in-action>

> On 5 Oct 2016, at 08:29, Robin East <robin.east@xense.co.uk> wrote:
>
> I would say no, at least not without a fair degree of algorithm writing experience. MLLib
is primarily a set of machine learning algorithms, many of which are based on implementations
of distributed optimisation procedures. The SAS routines you mention are optimisation  routines
which don't have directly comparable implementations in MLLib. One possibility is the TFOCS
spark package which might be of interest but I'm not sure it quite matches what you are asking
for. It's built by databricks so maybe one of their people can advise.

> One question I would ask is is this a big data problem? Could you use a python or julia
library on a machine with large amounts of RAM?