spark-user mailing list archives

From Marcelo Vanzin <van...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Delegation Token renewal in yarn-cluster
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2016 01:37:33 GMT
On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Zsolt Tóth <toth.zsolt.bme@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the purpose of the delegation token renewal (the one that is done
> automatically by Hadoop libraries, after 1 day by default)? It seems that it
> always happens (every day) until the token expires, no matter what. I'd
> probably find an answer to that in a basic Hadoop security description.

I'm not sure and I never really got a good answer to that (I had the
same question in the past). My best guess is to limit how long an
attacker can do bad things if he gets hold of a delegation token. But
IMO if an attacker gets a delegation token, that's pretty bad
regardless of how long he can use it...

> I have a feeling that giving the keytab to Spark bypasses the concept behind
> delegation tokens. As I understand, the NN basically says that "your
> application can access hdfs with this delegation token, but only for 7
> days".

I'm not sure why there's a 7 day limit either, but let's assume
there's a good reason. Basically the app, at that point, needs to
prove to the NN it has a valid kerberos credential. Whether that's
from someone typing their password into a terminal, or code using a
keytab, it doesn't really matter. If someone was worried about that
user being malicious they'd disable the user's login in the KDC.

This feature is needed because there are apps that need to keep
running, unattended, for longer than HDFS's max lifetime setting.

--
Marcelo