spark-user mailing list archives

From Jon Gregg <jonrgr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Starting a new Spark codebase, Python or Scala / Java?
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2016 18:58:10 GMT
Spark is written in Scala, so yes it's still the strongest option.  You
also get the Dataset type with Scala (compile time type-safety), and that's
not an available feature with Python.

That said, I think the Python API is a viable candidate if you use Pandas
for Data Science.  There are similarities between the DataFrame and Pandas
APIs, and you can convert a Spark DataFrame to a Pandas DataFrame.