spark-user mailing list archives

From Felix Cheung <felixcheun...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Spark SQL - Global Temporary View is not behaving as expected
Date Sat, 22 Apr 2017 08:05:37 GMT
Cross session is this context is multiple spark sessions from the same spark context. Since
you are running two shells, you are having different spark context.

Do you have to you a temp view? Could you create a table?

_____________________________
From: Hemanth Gudela <hemanth.gudela@qvantel.com<mailto:hemanth.gudela@qvantel.com>>
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 12:57 AM
Subject: Spark SQL - Global Temporary View is not behaving as expected
To: <user@spark.apache.org<mailto:user@spark.apache.org>>

Hi,

According to documentation<http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/sql-programming-guide.html#global-temporary-view>,
global temporary views are cross-session accessible.

But when I try to query a global temporary view from another spark shell like this-->
Instance 1 of spark-shell
----------------------------------
scala> spark.sql("select 1 as col1").createGlobalTempView("gView1")

Instance 2 of spark-shell (while Instance 1 of spark-shell is still alive)
scala> spark.sql("select * from global_temp.gView1").show()
org.apache.spark.sql.AnalysisException: Table or view not found: `global_temp`.`gView1`
'Project [*]
+- 'UnresolvedRelation `global_temp`.`gView1`

I am expecting that global temporary view created in shell 1 should be accessible in shell
2, but it isn’t!
Please correct me if I missing something here.

Thanks (in advance),
Hemanth