spark-user mailing list archives

From Jörn Franke <jornfra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spark scala development in Sbt vs Maven
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2018 15:56:36 GMT
I think most of the scala development in Spark happens with sbt - in the open source world.

 However, you can do it with Gradle and Maven as well. It depends on your organization etc.
what is your standard.

Some things might be more cumbersome too reach in non-sbt scala scenarios, but this is more
and more improving.

> On 5. Mar 2018, at 16:47, Swapnil Shinde <swapnilushinde@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello
>    SBT's incremental compilation was a huge plus to build spark+scala applications in
SBT for some time. It seems Maven can also support incremental compilation with Zinc server.
Considering that, I am interested to know communities experience -

> 1. Spark documentation says SBT is being used by many contributors for day to day development
mainly because of incremental compilation. Considering Maven is supporting incremental compilation
through Zinc, do contributors prefer to change from SBT to maven?

> 2. Any issues /learning experiences with Maven + Zinc?
>
> 3. Any other reasons to use SBT over Maven for scala development.
>
> I understand SBT has many other advantages over Maven like cross version publishing etc.
but incremental compilation is major need for us. I am more interested to know why Spark contributors/committers
prefer SBT for day to day development.