spark-user mailing list archives

From "Mendelson, Assaf" <Assaf.Mendel...@rsa.com>
Subject RE: DataSourceV2 APIs creating multiple instances of DataSourceReader and hence not preserving the state
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2018 11:12:36 GMT
I am using v2.4.0-RC2

The code as is wouldn’t run (e.g. planBatchInputPartitions returns null). How are you calling
it?

When I do:
Val df = spark.read.format(mypackage).load().show()
I am getting a single creation, how are you creating the reader?

Thanks,
        Assaf

From: Shubham Chaurasia [mailto:shubh.chaurasia@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 2:02 PM
To: Mendelson, Assaf; user@spark.apache.org
Subject: Re: DataSourceV2 APIs creating multiple instances of DataSourceReader and hence not
preserving the state

[EXTERNAL EMAIL]
Please report any suspicious attachments, links, or requests for sensitive information.
Thanks Assaf, you tried with tags/v2.4.0-rc2?

Full Code:

MyDataSource is the entry point which simply creates Reader and Writer

public class MyDataSource implements DataSourceV2, WriteSupport, ReadSupport, SessionConfigSupport
{

  @Override public DataSourceReader createReader(DataSourceOptions options) {
    return new MyDataSourceReader(options.asMap());
  }

  @Override
  public Optional<DataSourceWriter> createWriter(String jobId, StructType schema,
      SaveMode mode, DataSourceOptions options) {
    // creates a dataSourcewriter here..
    return Optional.of(dataSourcewriter);
  }

  @Override public String keyPrefix() {
    return "myprefix";
  }

}

public class MyDataSourceReader implements DataSourceReader, SupportsScanColumnarBatch {

  StructType schema = null;
  Map<String, String> options;

  public MyDataSourceReader(Map<String, String> options) {
    System.out.println("MyDataSourceReader.MyDataSourceReader: Instantiated...." + this);
    this.options = options;
  }

  @Override
  public List<InputPartition<ColumnarBatch>> planBatchInputPartitions() {
    //variable this.schema is null here since readSchema() was called on a different instance
    System.out.println("MyDataSourceReader.planBatchInputPartitions: " + this + " schema:
" + this.schema);
    //more logic......
    return null;
  }

  @Override
  public StructType readSchema() {
    //some logic to discover schema
    this.schema = (new StructType())
        .add("col1", "int")
        .add("col2", "string");
    System.out.println("MyDataSourceReader.readSchema: " + this + " schema: " + this.schema);
    return this.schema;
  }
}

Thanks,
Shubham

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 3:59 PM Mendelson, Assaf <Assaf.Mendelson@rsa.com<mailto:Assaf.Mendelson@rsa.com>>
Could you add a fuller code example? I tried to reproduce it in my environment and I am getting
just one instance of the reader…

Thanks,
        Assaf

Please report any suspicious attachments, links, or requests for sensitive information.
Hi All,

--Spark built with tags/v2.4.0-rc2

Consider following DataSourceReader implementation:

[...]

1) First readSchema() is called on MyDataSourceReader@instance1 which sets class variable
schema.

2) Now when planBatchInputPartitions() is called, it is being called on a different instance
of MyDataSourceReader and hence I am not getting the value of schema in method planBatchInputPartitions().

How can I get value of schema which was set in readSchema() method, in planBatchInputPartitions()
method?

Console Logs:

scala> mysource.executeQuery("select * from movie").show

MyDataSourceReader.MyDataSourceReader: Instantiated....MyDataSourceReader@59ea8f1b<mailto:Instantiated....MyDataSourceReader@59ea8f1b>

MyDataSourceReader.readSchema: MyDataSourceReader@59ea8f1b schema: StructType(StructField(col1,IntegerType,true),
StructField(col2,StringType,true))

MyDataSourceReader.MyDataSourceReader: Instantiated....MyDataSourceReader@a3cd3ff<mailto:Instantiated....MyDataSourceReader@a3cd3ff>