spark-user mailing list archives

From Pedro Tuero <tuerope...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spark 2.4 partitions and tasks
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2019 15:56:05 GMT
I changed the explicit repartitions to parameters  of parallelism to
pairRddFunctions, and it works better but I still have to get a magic
number.
>From https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/tuning.html:
Clusters will not be fully utilized unless you set the level of parallelism
for each operation high enough. Spark automatically sets the number of
“map” tasks to run on each file according to its size (though you can
control it through optional parameters to SparkContext.textFile, etc), and
for distributed “reduce” operations, such as groupByKey and reduceByKey, it
uses the largest parent RDD’s number of partitions. You can pass the level
of parallelism as a second argument (see the spark.PairRDDFunctions
<https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/api/scala/index.html#org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions>
 documentation), or set the config property spark.default.parallelism to
change the default. In general, we recommend 2-3 tasks per CPU core in your
cluster.

I wonder how is it possible that my jobs work fine with tens of task per
cores and work so badly (or even do not) with 2-3 task per core, as it is
recommended in Spark documentation.
As the number of tasks in previous versions depended on the input
partitions, I can assume that jobs were working by chance, because the
input partitions could be more or less, left by another Spark job or Hadoop
job or just text.
It is possible that the jobs could run in much less time if I choose better
parallelism. I have a dozen jobs, running with different input size and
partitions... so it is very hard to find a calculation to fit all scenarios.