Hi Mich,

Thank you for your reply.
I need to be more clear about the environment. I am using spark-shell to run the query.
Actually, the query works even without core-site, hdfs-site being under $SPARK_HOME/conf.
My problem is efficiency. Because all of the partitions was scanned instead of the one in question during the execution of the spark sql query.
This is why this simple query takes too much time.
I would like to know how to improve this by just reading the specific partition in question.

Feel free to ask more questions if I am not clear.

Best regards,
Hao