spark-user mailing list archives

From Alastair Green <alastair.gr...@neo4j.com>
Subject Re: graphx vs graphframes
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2019 08:19:28 GMT
Hi Nicolas,
I was following the current thread on the dev channel about Spark Graph, including Cypher
support,
http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/Add-spark-dependency-on-on-org-opencypher-okapi-shade-okapi-td28118.html
[http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/Add-spark-dependency-on-on-org-opencypher-okapi-shade-okapi-td28118.html]
and I remembered your post.
Actually, GraphX and GraphFrames are both not being developed actively, so far as I can tell.
The only activity on GraphX in the last two years was a fix for Scala 2.13 functionality:
to quote the PR
### Does this PR introduce any user-facing change?No behavior change at all.

The only activity on GraphFrames since the addition of Pregel support in Scala back in December
2018, has been build/test improvements and recent builds against 2.4 and 3.0 snapshots. I’m
not sure there was a lot of functional change before that either.
The efforts to provide graph processing in Spark with the more full-featured Cypher query
language that you can see in the proposed 3.0 changes discussed in the dev list, and the related
openCypher/morpheus project (which among many other things allows you to cast a Morpheus graph
into a GraphX graph) and extends the proposed 3.0 changes in a compatible way, are active.
Yrs,
Alastair
Alastair Green

Query Languages Standards and Research