spark-user mailing list archives

From Luca Canali <Luca.Can...@cern.ch>
Subject RE: Understanding Executors UI
Date Wed, 06 Jan 2021 08:59:48 GMT
Hi Eric,

A few links, in case they can be useful for your troubleshooting:

The Spark Web UI is documented in Spark 3.x documentation, although you can use most of it
for Spark 2.4 too: https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/web-ui.html

Spark memory management is documented at  https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/tuning.html#memory-management-overview
Additional resource: see also this diagram https://canali.web.cern.ch/docs/SparkExecutorMemory.png
 and https://db-blog.web.cern.ch/blog/luca-canali/2020-08-spark3-memory-monitoring

Best,
Luca

Sent: Wednesday, January 6, 2021 00:20
To: spark-user <user@spark.apache.org>
Subject: Understanding Executors UI

[image.png]

Not sure if this image will go through. (Never sent an email to this mailing list with an
image).

I am trying to understand this 'Executors' UI in Spark 2.4. I have a Stateful Structured Streaming
job with 'State timeout' set to 10 minutes. When the load on the system is low a message gets
written to Kafka immediately after the State times out BUT under heavy load it takes over
40 minutes to get a message on the output topic. Trying to debug this issue & see if performance
can be improved.

Questions:

1) I am requesting 3.2 TB of memory but it seems the job keeps using only 598.5 GB as per
the values in 'Storage Memory' as well as 'On Heap Storage Memory'. Wondering if this is a
Cluster issue OR am I not setting values correctly?
2) Where can I find documentation to understand different 'Tabs' in the Spark UI? (Sorry,
Googling didn't help. I will keep searching.)

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.