spot-dev mailing list archives

From kant kodali <kanth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] - Future plans for Spot-ingest
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2017 10:56:37 GMT
Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for the response.  I think you made a case for HDFS  however users
may want to use S3 or some other FS in which case they can use Auxilio
(hoping that there are no changes needed within Spot in which case I can
agree to that). for example, Netflix stores all there data into S3

The distributed sql query engine I would say should be pluggable with
whatever user may want to use and there a bunch of them out there. sure
Impala is better than hive but what if users are already using something
else like Drill or Presto?

Me personally, would not assume that users are willing to deploy all of
that and make their existing stack more complicated at very least I would
say it is a uphill battle. Things have been changing rapidly in Big data
space so whatever we think is standard won't be standard anymore but
importantly there shouldn't be any reason why we shouldn't be flexible
right.

Also I am not sure why only YARN? why not make that also more flexible so
users can pick Mesos or standalone.

I think Flexibility is a key for a wide adoption rather than the tightly
coupled architecture.

Thanks!