spot-dev mailing list archives

From Austin Leahy <Aus...@digitalminion.com>
Subject Merging PRs
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2017 19:21:23 GMT
Happy Friday everybody!

I just merged my first PR since we switched from ONI to Spot and I learned
several things about the way that asf works.

TL;DR: Bookmark this email for when you get confused about why your PR
hasn't merged.

As a result I wanted to share what I learned with our contributors who may
not be familiar with how the foundation's github repos work.

Committers have PR rights but not write access to any particular branch in
the repo. The best way to submit PRs is to use the Forking git-flow
workflow.

https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/comparing-workflows#forking-workflow
(one of the better explanations of how this works)

The ASF runs its repository operations with bots in order to merge a PR
several things need to happen

   - PRs need to Be tied to a ticket in the SPOT jira instance

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPOT/

The bot looked at my PR when I added added a reference to the Jira ticket
in my PR;
"resolves SPOT-143"

   - PR needs members to review the PR

everyone on the list has been really great with +1's and comments for
ongoing discussions. However to actually trigger merges we need people to
use github's review feature to approve the PR. *The review button appears
when you look at the diff for the PR.*

Once those things happened the merge happened quickly and the changes went
live to the website almost instantly.

Hopefully this can help us get moving on some of our lingering minor PRs
e.g.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-spot/pull/21

Here is a more advanced version of this discussion from the zookeeper wiki

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/Merging+Github+Pull+Requests

Thanks Austin