spot-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Zeolla <JonZeo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Inappropriate web site
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2017 01:05:02 GMT
Just for clarity, because it took a minute or two of clicking around, I
think this <http://spot.incubator.apache.org/doc/#cdh> is what is being
discussed here.

As a member of the both the Spot and Metron communities, I can say that
simplifying or automating deployment and configuration of either of these
two projects is an extremely heavy lift.  At the same time, doing so is
essential to reducing the barrier to entry for new users and increasing
adoption.

Minimizing the variability of the platform that either of these projects
run on top of is critical to actually getting them off the ground, which is
why it appears they have both chosen a single platform to leverage and
haven't yet grown from there.  I could very easily see a point in the
future where either project has expanded beyond a single platform, and I
have in fact discussed this idea numerous times in the past.

That said, I think the concern here is more focused on the perception of
commercial endorsements, not specifically using a branded but open
distribution of Apache software.  On that topic, I know very little about
the right way to approach documenting the fact that a certain platform is
assumed without appearing to be an endorsement.  I would be interested to
receive any guidance that the ASF can provide.

Jon

--

Jon