sqoop-dev mailing list archives

From Jarek Jarcec Cecho <jar...@apache.org>
Subject Version of future alpha release of Sqoop2
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2012 20:42:55 GMT
Hi Sqoop(2) developers,
we're making very good progress in Sqoop 2 land. Current code base still can't move any data
around, but I'm sure that we're very close to have something usable and testable soon. With
this regard, I would like to propose doing some pre/alpha/beta/unstable/preview/pick-your-own-word-for-unstable-code
release as soon as possible to provide early adopters first testable bits. My motivation to
provide early bits is to get feedback from actual users as soon as possible, so that we can
incorporate good ideas before it will become too expensive.

However releasing such early state raises question what version should we release. I would
say that most simple idea is to release version "2.0.0", however due to unstable nature, I
believe that it's very bad idea. Hadoop seems to be adding "-alpha" to the version names,
for example "2.0.1-alpha"[1]. I don't quite like this solution as I would personally expect
that there will be 2.0.1 stable (without "alpha" suffix) that won't have any new features
but will be stable soon. As this won't be the case for Sqoop, I would like to propose slightly
different solution that I've seen in some other projects. I would like to propose doing release
1.99.1. I believe that the version number implies that it's very far from current stable 1.4
version and very very near to 2.0, but it's not 2.0 yet. I would like to see other opinions
about using 1.99.1 version for first cut of our Sqoop 2 branch.

I actually did not invent this idea - I've seen in before. For example KDE project [2] is
using very similar approach for quite some time by now as you can see on their archive [3].
Versions like 4.8.90 or 4.8.95 are "pre-releases" for 4.9. Another example would be Ubuntu
one client [4].

Jarcec

Links:
1: http://mirror.nexcess.net/apache/hadoop/common/hadoop-2.0.1-alpha/