sqoop-dev mailing list archives

From Hari Shreedharan <hshreedha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Release planning for 1.4.3
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 00:34:34 GMT
Hi guys,

Thanks for giving me this opportunity. I'd definitely like to do Sqoop 1.4.3. I would also
gladly help Venkatesan if he would want to be the RM for Sqoop 1.99.2 (if the Sqoop PMC agrees,
of course).

Thanks
Hari

--
Hari Shreedharan

On Monday, February 4, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Venkatesan Ranganathan wrote:

> Hi Jarcec
> Thanks for the thoughtful comments. I think it would be good for someone with RM experience
to work on the release management tasks for something like a 1.4.3 release as there is a large
installed base of customers. I believe that will make the release smoother.
> While I can definitely learn and contribute in that role (I have been in this industry
for embarrassingly too long in various capacities!) , I feel Hari is a better candidate for
the release at hand for aforementioned reasons
> We can definitely revisit this for the next opportunity.
> Thanks
> Venkat
>
> > Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 10:29:46 -0800
> > From: jarcec@apache.org (mailto:jarcec@apache.org)
> > To: dev@sqoop.apache.org (mailto:dev@sqoop.apache.org)
> > Subject: Re: Release planning for 1.4.3
> >
> > Hi Hari and Venkat,
> > I'm excited to hear that you are both interested in becoming Release managers. Whereas
previous experience with doing release might be helpful, it's definitely not a requirement.
I believe that one of the main reasons for driving release this way is to help the community
volunteer to learn more about Apache Sqoop and the Apache Software Foundation in general.
It's my job as a release mentor to supplement any previous knowledge and experience.

> > I would like to help anyone who is interested to learn more about Sqoop and who
wants to contribute to the project. Thus I would like to help you both. Sadly it make sense
to have only one release manager for one particular release. I was thinking about this during
the weekend and whereas I can't do any promises, I believe that Sqoop PMC will be open to
follow the release mentor and community volunteer model for next release as well. As a result
I would suggest that one of you might be driving this 1.4.3 release and the another one might
drive next release - for example 1.99.2 that hopefully will happen in near future. What do
you think guys?

> > Jarcec
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 07:45:08PM -0800, Venkatesan Ranganathan wrote:
> > > Since Hari is interested in doing this with prior experience in doing this,
i think he is a better qualified candidate
> > > Thanks
> > > Venkat

activity on the codebase with about 68 issues resolved [1]. Some of them are usual bugfixes,
but we also added major new functionality. For example we added support for stored procedures
in export tool, upsert functionality into MySQL connector and/or schema support for Microsoft
SQL Server and PostgreSQL. It will therefore be appropriate time to do a maintenance release
of the project with version number 1.4.3.

usual release process that was introduced during last release. Instead of having one of the
committers running the release, I've stepped out as a release mentor that will guide someone
from the community that will volunteer to become the release manager.

for the project and learn more about the workings of Apache Sqoop and Apache Software Foundation
in general. Please do not hesitate and respond to this email if you're interested!