sqoop-dev mailing list archives

From "Zhou, Richard" <richard.z...@intel.com>
Subject RE: code-style in sqoop.
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2014 06:52:50 GMT
I agree with Jarek's point. The import order is not our main interesting for the time being,
since we are still busy with functionality development. However we still need to keep the
code-style in mind when committing code.
I prefer 1#.

-----Original Message-----
From: Veena Basavaraj [mailto:vbasavaraj@cloudera.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 10:49 AM
To: dev@sqoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: code-style in sqoop.

As a apache newbie, I realize the the use of the word "VOTE" might have raised a few eyebrows!.
Pardon my use of word vote.

Here is what my sincere goal was.

I wanted to get a pulse check on how the rest of the developers contributing to Sqoop feel
about having a code /style standard and how we should start using them in sqoop since it is
something most good projects follow.

So let me rephrase my sentence, so disregard the work VOTE:)

What should be the most suitable path we should take to enforce the coding guidelines and
esp the import ordering going forward?

Here are the 4 options I suggested, if there is something else anyone wants to add feel free
to.

   1. We do not care about the order, so lets not bother if reorder occurs, there are projects
that follow this ( kafka)
   2. We do care, lets impose the rule going forward on any file we touch, lets all get the
formatter in place in IDE.
   3. We do care a lot, lets fix every file in the next few weeks.
   4. We do care, but lets not modify any existing file, but only impose this on new files.(
this means every developer diligently uses a formatter and does not add code that does not
follow the sqoop style guide, it is based on mutual trust that this will happen)

Kindly choose an option that you feel is apt and lets discuss what seems like a best option
for this project at this point.

​Resolving this quickly would be good since we can all be on the same page when it comes
to code patches and reviews.

Best,
*./Vee*