sqoop-dev mailing list archives

From "Zhou, Richard" <richard.z...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Hadoop as Compile time dependency in Sqoop2
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2014 03:13:00 GMT
Hi Jarcec & Abe:
Thank you for your nice clarification. And I have got several opinions about it.

1.       As the Hadoop dependency is “provided” in the Sqoop server, and the real classpath
is set in catalina.properties, how to avoid compatibility mistakes? Let’s say, Sqoop server
is built successfully with Hadoop 2.5.1, showed in root pom.xml, whilst the real cluster is
Hadoop 2.5.0. Having said that there are only minor changes between these two minor release,
there should be some unexpected exception still.

2.       If “compile” is used in both client and server side. The wire compatibility is
confirmed in authentication communication between client and server. But another compatibility
surfaces, that the Sqoop server depends different version of Hadoop-common. 2.6.0 from “compile”,
and 2.5.0 (real cluster version) from classpath in catalina.properties.

3.       As Abe said, if we use partially “compile” (in client side) and partially “provided”(
in server side), I agree that there must be some wire compatibility issues.

4.       The best solution to resolve all compatibility issues is that use “provided”
in client and server side with Hadoop-common lib from classpath in real cluster, which must
be 2.6.0 or later. However, it is impossible to make all users use Hadoop 2.6.0 or later.

So, I am considering that is it a little rush to support delegation token currently? Since
it is the latest feature in Hadoop 2.6.0, whilst Sqoop only support 2.5.1. Having said sooner
or later Hadoop 2.6.0 will be supported in the near future, Sqoop must support Hadoop 2.5.1
or before for a long time as well. Maybe we should re-open delegation token support at Hadoop
3.* period, as delegation token should be supported that time. And as for Kerberos support
task (SQOOP-1525), it could be finished with doAs function completed. Actually this code is
ready, and the reason I have not uploaded for review is that I think delegation token is a
better solution to handle this. There is no need to commit doAs code and then rewrite with
delegation token. As for delegation token support, it could be put into improvement of Kerberos
support.

Richard