sqoop-dev mailing list archives

From Veena Basavaraj <vbasava...@cloudera.com>
Subject code-style in sqoop.
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2014 19:30:38 GMT
One of the reasons we wrote the coding guidelines wiki ( and we should
continue to add more of the sqoop nuances ..) is to be productive and have
agreed upon rules on coding style/ standards.

First, Richard, Gwen for your reviews.! I am assuming the LIKE as a
positive indicator.

I would be glad if the rest of the members can spend a few minutes on this
wiki and leave a comment on things that they want to further discuss, else
we will close this by tomorrow evening and create a formatter for eclipse
and intelliJ that follows these rules.

Second, there is one topic that comes up again and again in the Rbs/
reviews and is a constant source of time sink IMO.

So lets take a vote on how we should enforce the import order in the files.

Here are the 4 options I suggest, if there is something else anyone wants
to add feel free to.

   1. We do not care about the order, so lets not bother if reorder
occurs, there are projects that follow this ( kafka)
   2. We do care, lets impose the rule going forward on any file we
touch, lets all get the formatter in place in IDE.
   3. We do care a lot, lets fix every file in the next few weeks.
   4. We do care, but lets not modify any existing file, but only
impose this on new files.( this means every developer diligently uses
a formatter and does not add code that does not follow the sqoop style
guide, it is based on mutual trust that this will happen)

Each of the options has its merits and demerits that are obvious.

The vote will close tomorrow evening. If there are no votes the option is
to go with #1, the least effort and max productivity in getting things done.

Best,
*./Vee*