sqoop-dev mailing list archives

From Abraham Fine <abef...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Heads up: Migration from Jetty to Tomcat will happen soon (SQOOP-910)
Date Wed, 14 Oct 2015 18:55:05 GMT
David-

Yep. Maybe we should consider adding a profile for the mvn exec plugin to automatically launch
sqoop with the debugging port open. I am not super familiar with maven but I will try to set
aside some time in the next week to see if I can get that set up.

Thanks,
Abe

What do you think
> On Oct 13, 2015, at 10:09 PM, David Robson <David.Robson@software.dell.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Abe,
>
> That would probably work - so do you basically run the maven build, then launch it and
connect the remote debugger?

> I guess the problem with that is if you change 1 file, it can be a fair bit of time between
changing the file and actually debugging the code. I'm running in a VM so it would be a minute
or so. On tomcat I could use WTP which had the new code running within a second or so which
made it a bit quicker to change some code, try it etc.

> I guess the other way to fix this would be to update the logic for finding the Sqoop
jar. In Sqoop1 it had the following code:

>    String sqoopJar = Jars.getSqoopJarPath();
>    if (null != sqoopJar) {
>      sqoopJar = File.pathSeparator + sqoopJar;
>    } else {
>      LOG.warn("Could not find sqoop jar; child compilation may fail");
>      sqoopJar = "";
>    }
>
> So basically if you were running in standalone mode in the one JVM it skipped the jar
stuff and produced a warning which was handy for debugging. Looks like Sqoop2 just fails in
this scenario.

> David

and I am pretty confident that it would work well with your use case. It seems to be a recommended
way debugging Jetty based applications.
> http://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/current/debugging-with-eclipse.html
>
> Abe
>
>> On Oct 13, 2015, at 8:52 PM, David Robson <David.Robson@software.dell.com>
wrote:

>> Hi Jarcec/Colin,
>>
>> I had Eclipse setup with Tomcat before where I could debug the code easily. So I
ran Tomcat in debug mode from Eclipse, then when I changed a file in Eclipse it would automatically
redeploy the app, and I could continue debugging.

>> I can't work out how to do this with Jetty yet - do you have a document on how to
setup Eclipse to debug Sqoop?

>> I tried to run "org.apache.sqoop.server.SqoopJettyServer" from Eclipse - after much
messing around with classpaths I got it to run but then it won't run the actual job. It says
"failed to find jar for class: org.apache.sqoop.common.MapContext". I guess because Eclipse
is running it off the class files rather than jar files.

>> Can you please advise the best way to set this up?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> David

that will switch Sqoop from Tomcat to Jetty. The patch is almost ready to go and I’m expecting
that I’ll commit it in a day or two. The “user visible” commands had remained, so I’m
not anticipating huge impact, but nevertheless :)