sqoop-dev mailing list archives

From Attila Szabó <mau...@apache.org>
Subject SQOOP 1.4.7 Release by end of June
Date Thu, 25 May 2017 16:20:35 GMT
Hello everyone,

In the past few months we've mentioned it a few times that it would make
sense to create a new release of Sqoop from the current trunk version
(1.4.7).

IMHO this is the right time to move forward with this topic.
First of all because the latest release is 2 years old (1.4.6 was released
in 2015 May), and it would make a great impact for the end users to deliver
all of the changes we as a community have made since.
As a second argument, recently we were able to onboard quite a few new
contributor (including but not limited to Illya Yalovyy, Ying Cao,  Eric
Lin, Chris Teoh, Dmitry Zagorulkin), and as a recognition of their work,
I'd like to ensure their commits gets into a release as soon as possible.
Third: recently Anna, Bogi and Szabi were super active on the front of
stabilizing and improving the tests, the build system and so, however
according to my feelings the current status quo (waiting for a minor
version change with bigger changes) holding them back from more fundamental
improvements (I guess this is the reason why the Gradle/Maven new build
sytem is still in progress, and the conversation around feature branches
started). I think it would make a great impact for the whole community and
the product itself, if we would be able to remove this burden from their
shoulders, and thus they would be able to focus on bigger
changes/challenges.

Because of the reasons mentioned above, on the top of my existing duties,
I'd like to help the community's life by owning the 1.4.7 release process,
and starting the release with branching the trunk as of 2017-06-01 (next
Friday) PST 8PM, and finishing the whole process latest by the end of June.

Of course before starting even creating the related JIRA tasks, plans, the
branching, etc. I'd like to collect the inputs from all of you if this fits
your plan/requirements/etc.

Looking forward hearing all of your thoughts, concerns, pros and cons.

Best regards,
Attila Szabo