sqoop-user mailing list archives

From Otto Rossbach <otto.rossb...@googlemail.com>
Subject Sqoop Installation Problem
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2011 18:26:26 GMT
Hi,
I do have some trouble setting up Sqoop. I downloaded the latest
version of Sqoop from http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/incubator/sqoop/
.
I figured out, that I don't have to build sqoop using ant, because the
binaries and the jar's are already in the tar.

I have set the environment variables:
HADOOP_HOME
HIVE_HOME
SQOOP_HOME
and have their bin subfolders added to the PATH variable.

Running 'sqoop' or 'sqoop version' leads to the following error:

hadoop@dev1:/usr/local/sqoop> sqoop
Warning: /usr/lib/hbase does not exist! HBase imports will fail.
Please set $HBASE_HOME to the root of your HBase installation.
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/
cloudera/sqoop/Sqoop
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.cloudera.sqoop.Sqoop
Could not find the main class: com.cloudera.sqoop.Sqoop.  Program will
exit.

That's why I tried to add the missing jars in the HADOOP_CLASSPATH in
sqoop/bin/configure-sqoop. I added the following line at the end of
the file: export HADOOP_CLASSPATH=$HADOOP_CLASSPATH:/usr/local/sqoop/
sqoop-1.4.0-incubating.jar
So that the com/cloudera/sqoop/Sqoop class was found. But
unfortunately this does not solve the problem. Now I do get the
following error when executing "sqoop version". (I know this is a very
dirty hack, but I really don't know what variable I need to set, so
that sqoop finds its own jar-files?! Very frustrating!)

hadoop@dev1:/usr/local/sqoop> sqoop version
Warning: /usr/lib/hbase does not exist! HBase imports will fail.
Please set $HBASE_HOME to the root of your HBase installation.
org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.getInstances(Ljava/lang/
String;Ljava/lang/Class;)Ljava/util/List;
at org.apache.sqoop.tool.SqoopTool.loadPlugins(SqoopTool.java:139)
at org.apache.sqoop.Sqoop.runTool(Sqoop.java:210)
at org.apache.sqoop.Sqoop.runTool(Sqoop.java:229)
at org.apache.sqoop.Sqoop.main(Sqoop.java:238)
at com.cloudera.sqoop.Sqoop.main(Sqoop.java:57)

I could do the same trick for the
org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.getInstances method, but I
haven't found the correct jar-file yet. And this is definitely not the
correct way to do it.

Can anyone help me setting up Sqoop correctly?

Thanks for your help in advance.