sqoop-user mailing list archives

From David Langer <david_lan...@hotmail.com>
Subject The --hive-overwrite doesn't overwrite data
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 19:51:21 GMT

Greetings!

Hopefully this isn't too much of a newbie question, but I am unable to get the --hive-overwrite
argument working. I'm using sqoop 1.3.0-cdh3u2 on the Cloudera VMWare Player VM.

The following sqoop invocation succeeds in creating the Hive table and populates it with data:

sqoop import --connect 'jdbc:mysql://localhost/MyDB?zeroDateTimeBehavior=round' --username
cloudera --query 'SELECT *, 47 AS JobID FROM SalesPerson WHERE $CONDITIONS' --split-by ID
 --target-dir /tmp/SalesPerson --create-hive-table --hive-import --hive-table MyDB_SalesPerson

However, while the following sqoop invocation does produce the desired data in HDFS (i.e.,
/tmp/SalesPerson) it does not overwrite the data in the Hive table:

sqoop import --connect 'jdbc:mysql://localhost/MyDB?zeroDateTimeBehavior=round' --username
cloudera --query 'SELECT *, 87 AS JobID FROM SalesPerson WHERE $CONDITIONS' --split-by ID
 --target-dir /tmp/SalesPerson --hive-overwrite --hive-table MyDB_salesperson

There is nothing in Hive.log that indicates the --hive-overwrite sqoop invocation is interacting
with Hive (e.g., no exceptions).

Thanx,

Dave