sqoop-user mailing list archives

From Jarek Jarcec Cecho <jar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SQOOP 1.3.0 questions using SQL Server
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2012 18:08:54 GMT
We actually tried very hard to remain compatible with this particular connector, so please
feel free to create new JIRA for each issue you will find.

Jarcec

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 06:01:19PM +0000, Artem Ervits wrote:
> Thank you Jarek,
>
> I will do what you indicated, however, since we're using Microsoft connector for SQL,
I am not sure that supports any version but 1.3.0. I will test though.

> Thanks again.

1.4.2. Please note that this release include SQOOP-480[1] that fixes some issues for connectors
compiled against 1.3 in 1.4. Sqoop is simple command line utility so you might try to download
release into some temporary folder and verify that everything is working prior upgrading Sqoop
system wise.

> Specifically to your questions
>
> 1) --incremental
> Usually Sqoop will print out error message first followed by help page, so I would advise
checking few initial lines to see what exactly is wrong.

> 2) --compress
> Please try to reproduce this issue on 1.4.2 and file jira if you'll be able to reproduce
it.

> 3) --as-avrodatafile
> Based on [2] SQL type -9 corresponds to data type NVARCHAR. We've added support for NVARCHAR
in SQOOP-323 [3] that is part of Sqoop since version 1.4.0-incubating - e.g. 1.3.0 version
do not support NVARCHAR type out of the box.

> Jarcec
>
> Links:
> 1: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SQOOP-480
> 2: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/constant-values.html#java.sql.Types.DECIMAL
> 3: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SQOOP-323
>
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 05:29:41PM +0000, Artem Ervits wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm testing a few switches for Sqoop import and I'm having the following problems.
> >
> > When I use the -incremental switch, the command fails and shows me the help page.
> > When I use the -compress switch, the command works but when I try to uncompress
the results, it says gzip undefined compression code. I also tried to explicitly state the
codec and it would still not append the compression extension to the files nor am I able to
uncompress the data.
> > When I use the -as-avrodatafile I get ERROR tool.ImportTool: Imported Failed: Cannot
convert SQL type -9

> > Any ideas? I am not sure if upgrading Sqoop will fix it because SQL Server connector
specifically required a 1.3.0 release.

> > Thanks.
> >
> > Artem Ervits
> > Data Analyst
> > New York Presbyterian Hospital

> > This electronic message is intended to be for the use only of the named recipient,
and may contain information that is confidential or privileged.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the
contents of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error
or are not the named recipient, please notify us immediately by contacting the sender at the
electronic mail address noted above, and delete and destroy all copies of this message.  Thank
you.