sqoop-user mailing list archives

From Jarek Jarcec Cecho <jar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SQOOP 1.3.0 questions using SQL Server
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2012 21:17:24 GMT
Hi Artem,
yes nvarchar (sql type -9) should be supported on 1.4.2. Would you mind share with us entire
Sqoop command line and appropriate log generated with --verbose argument? Also what version
of Java are using?

Jarcec

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 09:09:56PM +0000, Artem Ervits wrote:
> I have Sqoop 1.4.2 installed
>
> Running sqoop version returns
>
> Sqoop 1.4.2
> git commit id
> Compiled by ag on Tue Aug 14 17:37:19 IST 2012
>
> When I tried to run a sqoop import-all-tables I got "Unknown SQL Data type: -9". From
the discussion below, nvarchar should be supported in this version of sqoop, please advise?

> Thank you.

compile it no problem which resulted in 1.4.3 snapshot jar using command ant jar-all. I noticed
that  all other jars like avro are not present in the build or lib directory. How may I go
about downloading source and compiling it to include avro, etc?

> If you need to build entire distribution (like the one that is offered in download page)
including (almost) all dependency jars you need to run command "ant -Dhadoopversion=$hadoopVersion
tar", where $hadoopVersion is your hadoop version. Supported values are 20, 23, 100 and 200.

> > 2.       I also tried to use the incremental switch, is this a correct command:
"sqoop import -incremental 'lastmodified'" or does the command look some other way?

> Yes that is the intended usage. You might find more information about incremental imports
in Sqoop documentation:

> http://sqoop.apache.org/docs/1.4.2/SqoopUserGuide.html#_incremental_imports
>
> > Thank you.
>
> Jarcec

1.4.2. Please note that this release include SQOOP-480[1] that fixes some issues for connectors
compiled against 1.3 in 1.4. Sqoop is simple command line utility so you might try to download
release into some temporary folder and verify that everything is working prior upgrading Sqoop
system wise.

> > Specifically to your questions
> >
> > 1) --incremental
> > Usually Sqoop will print out error message first followed by help page, so I would
advise checking few initial lines to see what exactly is wrong.

> > 2) --compress
> > Please try to reproduce this issue on 1.4.2 and file jira if you'll be able to reproduce
it.

> > 3) --as-avrodatafile
> > Based on [2] SQL type -9 corresponds to data type NVARCHAR. We've added support
for NVARCHAR in SQOOP-323 [3] that is part of Sqoop since version 1.4.0-incubating - e.g.
1.3.0 version do not support NVARCHAR type out of the box.

> > Jarcec
> >
> > Links:
> > 1: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SQOOP-480
> > 2:
> > http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/constant-values.html#java.sql
> > .Types.DECIMAL
> > 3: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SQOOP-323
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 05:29:41PM +0000, Artem Ervits wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > I'm testing a few switches for Sqoop import and I'm having the following problems.
> > >
> > > When I use the -incremental switch, the command fails and shows me the help
page.
> > > When I use the -compress switch, the command works but when I try to uncompress
the results, it says gzip undefined compression code. I also tried to explicitly state the
codec and it would still not append the compression extension to the files nor am I able to
uncompress the data.
> > > When I use the -as-avrodatafile I get ERROR tool.ImportTool:
> > > Imported Failed: Cannot convert SQL type -9
> > >
> > > Any ideas? I am not sure if upgrading Sqoop will fix it because SQL Server
connector specifically required a 1.3.0 release.

> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Artem Ervits
> > > Data Analyst
> > > New York Presbyterian Hospital

> > > This electronic message is intended to be for the use only of the named recipient,
and may contain information that is confidential or privileged.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the
contents of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error
or are not the named recipient, please notify us immediately by contacting the sender at the
electronic mail address noted above, and delete and destroy all copies of this message.  Thank
you.

and security policies (http://infonet.nyp.org/QA/HospManual/).

and security policies (http://infonet.nyp.org/QA/HospitalManual).