Hi, just a general behavioral question.

We have a syslogTCP source catching remotely generated syslog events. They got to an Avro sink, which delivers them to an Avro source, then into an HDFS sink.

I currently have a test replicating channel delivering it to HDFS with the avro_event serializer, and also delivering the same events to HDFS without the avro_event serializer. The latter results in a text-encoded aggregate file, which works well.

The issue I would like clarification on is this:

When it is saved to HDFS as Avro, there is a epoch timestamp, the hostname, and some severity and facility information being saved along with the message body. There is a "headers" and "body" section of the Avro schema, and the timestamp etc is in the "headers" section, and the actual text is the "body."

However, when the file is saved to HDFS as text, the only thing we get is the content of the "body" field, and there is no longer any host, timestamp, etc., even though those are components of the original message.

Where are the components form the generating server being stripped away? By syslogTCP source, or by HDFS sink deserializing into text?

Another way to summarize this is: When the server writing the events to syslog writes them, it writes with timestamp and host fields. If we use Avro the whole way, it keeps that information as headers, but if we save as text, no timestamp or host information is preserved. We would like it preserved so we can programmatically parse the timestamp to sort by day. We would also like to not have to deal with Avro MapReduce for the time being, as that has proved challenging. So, is there a way that I can get the WHOLE event body as the "body" using syslogTCP source, or do we need to look at exec source to tail the generating server /var/log/messages and send it that way?

Thanks,
Devin Suiter
Jr. Data Solutions Software Engineer
Google Voice: 412-256-8556www.rdx.com