sqoop-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Allaway <andrewalla...@outlook.com>
Subject Re: Sqoop, sending for a loop - newby lost - SQL Server/Sqoop
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2013 12:01:08 GMT
Update -

All's fixed, my TCP/IP port 1433 and UDP 1434 were not open /*blushing*/

Live'n learn:)

Thanks all for help triaging my question!
Andy

> On Oct 30, 2013, at 10:32 PM, "Andrew Allaway" <andrewallaway@outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Jarcec, et al -
>
> Yes, that is rather vague of me.  Apologizes, I appreciate your question and aid:)
>
> I've some updates, but still getting thrown for a loop by Hadoop-Sqoop:)  /* I can't
resist 0>    <--not'a bad ice-cream-cone   :)  */

> * I was able to uninstall the sqoop 1.4.4 package and re-install it with the version
that says sqoop-bin.1.4.4.  That worked magically!  Woohoo.  I can now run sqoop!  What was
the difference of the stable release with bin vs w/o bin?

> * Now the down side, I cant, for the life of me, get sqoop to connect to my SQL Server.
 I've the specific jar file to run sqoop for sql server at nameNode: ...sqoop/lib/sqljdbc4.jar

> Questions:
> 1) When I submit the below from .../sqoop/, I get nowhere:)  advice?
>
> bin/sqoop list-databases --connect 'jdbc:sqlserver://Andy-ABC-1-HP\BOB:1433;databaseName=andy_dev;user=Andy-ABC-1;password=***;'
>
> What I think is the relevant part of error:
>
> 13/10/30 06:20:29 ERROR manager.CatalogQueryManager: Failed to list databases
> com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The TCP/IP connection to the host Andy-ABC-1-HP,
port 1433 has failed. Error: "null. Verify the connection properties. Make sure that an instance
of SQL Server is running on the host and accepting TCP/IP connections at the port. Make sure
that TCP connections to the port are not blocked by a firewall.".
>         at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDriverError(SQLServerException.java:190)
>         at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.ConvertConnectExceptionToSQLServerException(SQLServerException.java:241)
> ..
>
> What I've got:
>
> a)
> My HP Laptop, set to static: IP4 - 192.168.10.13
> SQLServer running on the above laptop:
> Host name: Andy-ABC-1-HP
> Instance: BOB
> Port (per: start>sql server config. mgr>SQL native client>client protocols>tcp/ip>properties>port
1433
> DB: andy_dev
> schema: dbo
> Login: Andy-ABC-1
> Pw :
>
> b) namenode, 192.168.10.10, Debian, can ping 192.168.10.13 and 192.168.10.13 can ssh
into namenode

> 2) When I lauch sqoop, it keeps saying "Error: /usr/lib/hadoop does not exist! Please
set $HADOOP_COMMON_HOME to the root of your Hadoop installation. & Please set $HADOOP_MAPRED_HOME
to the root of your Hadoop MapReduce installation."  I then run: export export HADOOP_COMMON_HOME=/usr/local/hadoop
and export HADOOP_MAPRED_HOME=/usr/local/hadoop. It works but after reboot it is back??? How
to perm set it?

> Firewall was off when all above run...
>
> Any advice appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
> Andy
>
> > Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 14:28:52 -0700
> > From: jarcec@apache.org
> > To: user@sqoop.apache.org
> > Subject: Re: Sqoop, sending for a loop - newby lost - SQL Server/Sqoop
> >
> > Hi Andrew,
> > would you mind sharing with use exact commands and exact exceptions that you are
seeing? It will help us to understand your issue better.

> > Jarcec
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 07:29:47PM -0500, Andrew Allaway wrote:
> > > Hey Abe -
> > >
> > > I haven't because I'm working on running a real lean install on a ARM cluster.
> > >
> > > I want a bare bones build (Hadoop, Hive & Scoop). Starting to feel that
although these packages are open source (Hadoop, Hive, Sqoop, etc), figuring out how to build
a solution from the bottom, w/o a full package (Bigtop, Cloudera, MapR, Horton, et al), is
quite hard, due to not knowing what dependencies are required.

> > > The Doc's of Sqoop 1.4.4 don't mention Hbase being required. What am I missing?
> > >
> > > Anyone tried running a barebones setup and know what I'm missing?
> > >
> > > Thanks Abe for the tip, I've your distro on a VM and it has all the bells and
whistles, just was hoping to get a three node solution running swell with the barebones, just
can't figure out what base packages are needed to tie SS 2012/14 and a cluster together with
only Hadoop, Hive and Sqoop.

> > > Also I forgot to mention, when I run sqoop help it also says something about
missing a Java class. I've OpenJDK running, pointing to ARM (i.e. export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-armhf)

> > > Thanks to all in advance for your suggestions!
> > >

> > > Andy

installation provider? Hbase client libs are used for Hbase import. Sqoop is compiled with
Hbase support I think.

a switch. I can ssh into nodes 1-3 easy.

schema "test_schema" & table "test_table" login "abc" pw "xyz".

didn't know where my hadoop was. So I ran the hadoop_home /usr/local....

same$ export home_hdfs usr/local....

I learn them. I don't intend to learn Hbase at the moment, can I "live" w/o it?

above (test_table) into hdfs and into Hive??