Hi Kathleen, Et al,

Any thoughts on my parameters above?  Would this work for --direct mode likely?

Thanks,

Jason

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Jason Rosenberg <jbr@squareup.com> wrote:
Hi Kathleen,

The sqoop command looks like this (a bash command, that takes a few args naming the source/dest table names, update key, and dest columns).

sqoop_table () {
  sqoop --export
    --connect jdbc:mysql://$MYSQL_HOST/$MYSQL_DATABASE \
    --username $MYSQL_USER \
    --outdir $LOCAL_TEMP \
    --export-dir /user/hive/warehouse/$HIVE_DATABASE.db/$1 \
    --table $2 \
    --update-key $3 \
    --update-mode allowinsert \
    --columns $4 \
    --input-fields-terminated-by "\t" \
    --input-null-string '\\N' \
    --input-null-non-string '\\N' \
    --batch \
    --num-mappers 8
}

The lock contention exceptions seem to be retried, up to a point.  If they happen too often, the hadoop job tracker eventually decides to kill the job.  Even when the job succeeds, there are usually a few of these exceptions.  I originally had much more mappers configured, but here, I've reduced it to 8, and this seems to help (although it's not a guarantee).  Reducing the num-mappers also makes it less likely that the target mysql db machine will get overloaded (e.g. was getting maxed out on cpu usage with 64 mappers, etc.).

The number of records being sqooped is on the order of 1-5M at a time.

Sounds like I should try --direct mode (but not sure if the null/delimiters we're using will work with it?).

Jason