sqoop-user mailing list archives

From Devin Suiter RDX <dsui...@rdx.com>
Subject Sqoop2 setup questions
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2014 17:52:04 GMT
Hi all,

I am working on setting up Sqoop2 in my CDH4.6 pseudo-distributed
environment. Per earlier conversations with Jarek, I'm working toward
migrating our usage to #2 vs. Sqoop1 for a few reasons.

I'm coming up with 2 questions. The first is: Is Sqoop2 considered
"production-ready?" I only ask because the Sqoop User Guide still seems to
be for Sqoop 1. Is the syntax essentially identical when working from CLI,
so the guides are essentially interchangeable, and Sqoop2 will provide all
the functionality of Sqoop1 but in a server-oriented fashion?

The second is - why does my sqoop2 server seem uncooperative?

I've yum installed sqoop2-server and client, and uninstalled Sqoop.

If I start Sqoop2 server after boot, it tells me a PID file is already
there and aborts. Nothing odd there. Stopping it and starting it again
yields this output:

[root@haddev1 ~]# /sbin/service sqoop2-server start
Starting Sqoop Server:                                     [  OK  ]
Sqoop home directory: /usr/lib/sqoop2
Setting SQOOP_HTTP_PORT:     12000
Setting SQOOP_ADMIN_PORT:     12001
Using   CATALINA_OPTS:       -Xmx1024m
Adding to CATALINA_OPTS:    -Dsqoop.http.port=12000 -Dsqoop.admin.port=12001
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/lib/sqoop2/sqoop-server-0.20
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/lib/bigtop-tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /var/tmp/sqoop2
Using JRE_HOME:        /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_31
Using CLASSPATH:       /usr/lib/bigtop-tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar
Using CATALINA_PID:    /var/run/sqoop2/sqoop-server-sqoop2.pid

>From there, I attempt to test the server response per the Cloudera guide
with the command:

wget -qO - localhost:12000/sqoop/version

but I don't get the JSON token I'm supposed to get back.

If I enter the client and request version info, I get this:

sqoop:000> show version --all
client version:
  Sqoop 1.99.2-cdh4.6.0 revision
  Compiled by jenkins on Wed Feb 26 02:44:40 PST 2014
Exception has occurred during processing command
Exception: com.sun.jersey.api.client.UniformInterfaceException Message: GET
http://localhost:12000/sqoop/version returned a response status of 404 Not
Found

So, I'm kind of stumped at that point. Is there some contraindication
regarding running Sq2 client on the same box as the server, essentially
stopping it from being worked with in pseudo-distributed mode? Or does
something stand out as a problem with my config/is there some debug I can
pull out to glean more insight into why the service isn't listening on that
port, even though it appears to be?

Thanks for any assistance you can give. I'd like to avoid spinning up a
fully-distributed VM cluster to test Sqoop2 jobs on, if possible, and my
real cluster is indisposed at the moment...

*Devin Suiter*
Jr. Data Solutions Software Engineer
Google Voice: 412-256-8556 | www.rdx.com