Hi Abe - Thanks for the response.

I've updated my sqoop-env.sh file to have the following export vars

export HADOOP_HOME="/usr/local/Cellar/hadoop/2.4.0/libexec"
export HBASE_HOME="/usr/local/Cellar/hbase/0.98.1/libexec"
export HIVE_HOME="/usr/local/Cellar/hive/0.13.0/libexec"
export ZOOCFGDIR="/usr/local/etc/zookeeper"
export HCAT_HOME="/usr/local/Cellar/hive/0.13.0/libexec/hcatalog"

and to answer your question the hbase directory has the following file / directories

CHANGES.txt LICENSE.txt README.txt libexec
INSTALL_RECEIPT.json NOTICE.txt bin

Now, when I try and run my import I get a new error (and the hbase table is actually created, just no data going into it)

The error is

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Found interface org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.JobContext, but class was expected
at org.apache.sqoop.mapreduce.DelegatingOutputFormat.checkOutputSpecs(DelegatingOutputFormat.java:63)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.JobSubmitter.checkSpecs(JobSubmitter.java:458)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.JobSubmitter.submitJobInternal(JobSubmitter.java:343)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Job$10.run(Job.java:1285)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Job$10.run(Job.java:1282)
at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1548)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Job.submit(Job.java:1282)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Job.waitForCompletion(Job.java:1303)
at org.apache.sqoop.mapreduce.ImportJobBase.doSubmitJob(ImportJobBase.java:186)
at org.apache.sqoop.mapreduce.ImportJobBase.runJob(ImportJobBase.java:159)
at org.apache.sqoop.mapreduce.ImportJobBase.runImport(ImportJobBase.java:239)
at org.apache.sqoop.manager.SqlManager.importQuery(SqlManager.java:645)

I've read this is because of incompatible jar files but, like I said I'm a complete newb at all of this and if I could get a little more direction on what exactly I'm missing / is incompatible that would be fantastic.

This is all on homebrew mac os x 10.9 hadoop 2.4 hbase .98 sqoop 1.4.4