sqoop-user mailing list archives

From Venkat Ranganathan <vranganat...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Import Partitions from Oracle to Hive Partitions
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2014 16:44:50 GMT
What is the partitioning key in your Oracle table?   If you specify
the same as partitioning keys on the hive table, then doing a simple
hcatalog import from the oracle table to hive will automatically
handle all the partitioning (even multiple level).

You are right that Sqoop supported only one level of partitioning key
but with 1.4.5 we allowed nesting (multiple static partition keys).
Multiple dynamic partition keys were supported with hcatalog from
1.4.4

Thanks

Venkat

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 8:30 AM, Venkat, Ankam
<Ankam.Venkat@centurylink.com> wrote:
> David/Gwen,
>
> I have an issue with importing Oracle partitions to match Hadoop Files.
>
> Sqoop command:
>
> sqoop import  \
> -Doraoop.disabled=false  \
> -Doraoop.import.partitions='CUSTOMER_P01,CUSTOMER_P02,CUSTOMER_P03,CUSTOMER_P04,CUSTOMER_P05,CUSTOMER_P06,CUSTOMER_P07,CUSTOMER_P08,CUSTOMER_P09,CUSTOMER_P10,CUSTOMER_P11,CUSTOMER_P12,CUSTOMER_P13,CUSTOMER_P14,CUSTOMER_P15,CUSTOMER_P16,CUSTOMER_P17,CUSTOMER_P18,CUSTOMER_P19,CUSTOMER_P20,CUSTOMER_P21,CUSTOMER_P22,CUSTOMER_P23,CUSTOMER_P24,CUSTOMER_P25,CUSTOMER_P26,CUSTOMER_P27,CUSTOMER_P28,CUSTOMER_P29,CUSTOMER_P30,CUSTOMER_P31,CUSTOMER_P32,CUSTOMER_P33,CUSTOMER_P34,CUSTOMER_P35,CUSTOMER_P36,CUSTOMER_P37,CUSTOMER_P38,CUSTOMER_P39,CUSTOMER_P40,CUSTOMER_P41,CUSTOMER_P42,CUSTOMER_P43,CUSTOMER_P44,CUSTOMER_P45,CUSTOMER_P46,CUSTOMER_P47,CUSTOMER_P48,CUSTOMER_P49,CUSTOMER_P50,CUSTOMER_P51,CUSTOMER_P52,CUSTOMER_P53,CUSTOMER_P54,CUSTOMER_P55,CUSTOMER_P56,CUSTOMER_P57,CUSTOMER_P58,CUSTOMER_P59,CUSTOMER_P60,CUSTOMER_P61,CUSTOMER_P62,CUSTOMER_P63,CUSTOMER_P64,CUSTOMER_P65,CUSTOMER_P66,CUSTOMER_P67,CUSTOMER_P68,CUSTOMER_P69,CUSTOMER_P70,CUSTOMER_P71,CUSTOMER_P72,CUSTOMER_P73,CUSTOMER_P74,CUSTOMER_P75'
\
> -Doraoop.chunk.method=PARTITION \
> -Doraoop.import.consistent.read=true \
> --connect jdbc:oracle:thin:@XXXXXXXXXX:1521/YYYYYY \
> --table Schema.TableName \
> --username MyID \
> --password MyPWD \
> -m 75
>
> Issues:
> 1) There are 75 partitions on Oracle Table.  But, 61 are being imported because 14 partitions
are empty. I have no way to identify the file belongs to which partition.
> 2) All the partitions are imported with names as PART-00001, PART-00002 and so on.  I
thought -Doraoop.chunk.method=PARTITION option will match the hadoop files to Oracle Partions.
 I mean import as HDFS files with same name.

> Any workaround for this?
>
> Regards,
> Venkat

I would think we could modify Sqoop to create subfolders for each partition - instead of how
it now creates a separate file for each partition? This would probably be limited to the direct
(OraOop) connector as it is aware of partitions (existing connector doesn't read data dictionary
directly).

> In the meantime Venkat - you could look at the option I mentioned - then manually move
the files into separate folders - at least you'll have each partition in a separate file rather
than spread throughout all files. The other thing you could look at is the option below -
you could run one Sqoop job per partition:

> Specify The Partitions To Import
>
> -Doraoop.import.partitions=PartitionA,PartitionB --table OracleTableName
>
> Imports PartitionA and PartitionB of OracleTableName.
>
> Notes:
> You can enclose an individual partition name in double quotes to retain the letter case
or if the name has special characters.
> -Doraoop.import.partitions='"PartitionA",PartitionB' --table OracleTableName If the partition
name is not double quoted then its name will be automatically converted to upper case, PARTITIONB
for above.
> When using double quotes the entire list of partition names must be enclosed in single
quotes.
> If the last partition name in the list is double quoted then there must be a comma at
the end of the list. -Doraoop.import.partitions='"PartitionA","PartitionB",' --table OracleTableName

> Name each partition to be included. There is no facility to provide a range of partition
names.

> There is no facility to define sub partitions. The entire partition is included/excluded
as per the filter.

some post-processing - copy files into properly named directories and adding the new partitions
to a hive table.

> Sqoop has the --hive-partition-key and --hive-partition-value, but this assumes that
all the data sqooped will fit into a single partition.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE