sqoop-user mailing list archives

From "Sambit Tripathy (RBEI/PJ-NBS)" <Sambit.Tripa...@in.bosch.com>
Subject RE: Complex free form queries
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2014 20:23:37 GMT
Pratik,

Are you facing a problem or trying to make a recommendation?

Regards,
Sambit.

From: pratik khadloya [mailto:tispratik@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2014 1:09 PM
To: user@sqoop.apache.org
Subject: Complex free form queries

The sqoop docs say:

The facility of using free-form query in the current version of Sqoop is limited to simple
queries where there are no ambiguous projections and no OR conditions in the WHERE clause.
Use of complex queries such as queries that have sub-queries or joins leading to ambiguous
projections can lead to unexpected results.

Does anyone know why such is case is not supported and can it be avoided by:

a) Using only 1 mapper
or
b) Creating a view out of the complex query

I have tested a hive textfile import for a very complex query and verified the data and it
seems to be correct. I checked the number of words, number of lines and file sizes of the
dump from mysql vs the text file imported onto hdfs by sqoop.
My query does have OR conditions. I have attached an obfuscated version of the query, and
that screenprint is still 1/2 of the complete query.

Any info on this will be helpful.

Thanks,
Pratik