sqoop-user mailing list archives

From David Robson <David.Rob...@software.dell.com>
Subject RE: Re: the confusion of --split-by parameter
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2014 03:33:18 GMT
In regards to Oracle – with the addition of the direct connector you can split by ROWID,
or by partition. This is much faster than using min/max boundaries.

I do not know the internals of MySQL – but limit/offset queries would most likely need to
sort the data to implement this – so would potentially have an additional overhead.

What database are you using? I guess the current splitting by the minimum and maximum value
of the column could be considered the generic way of doing it – then each database should
implement a custom method. So we wrote the direct connector for Oracle to take advantage of
Oracles features and make it better. So if someone could work out a better way of doing it
for say MySQL or PostgreSQL then they could enhance the connector for that particular database.
I know there is connectors for various databases – but I can’t comment on whether it could
be done more efficiently as I have only focused on the Oracle connector. You could try enhancing
a connector on a database you are looking at and submit it as a patch if you find a more efficient
method.

If you are using Oracle – you should try the direct connector in 1.4.5 (formerly known as
OraOop) as this doesn’t require a split by column.

From: Abraham Elmahrek [mailto:abe@cloudera.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 10 September 2014 12:00 PM
To: user@sqoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Re: the confusion of --split-by parameter

Good point. The only thing I can think of is that offsets might be slower (since the DB has
to scan and keep a count internally) and the expectation that certain ranges of data end up
in certain files (though I doubt this one). I'll defer this one to the broader community as
I'm not sure myself.

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 5:31 PM, lizhanqiang@inspur.com<mailto:lizhanqiang@inspur.com>