sqoop-user mailing list archives

From David Robson <David.Rob...@software.dell.com>
Subject RE: FWIW - [BLOG] Sqoop 1.99.3 Install Troubles (and fixes)
Date Sat, 18 Oct 2014 02:40:09 GMT
Hi Brian,

Just one thing to note - Sqoop 1.99.3 doesn't have the direct connector as yet - so if you
are going to transfer large amounts of data you may want to try 1.4.5 out with the "-direct"
option. If it's just small tables then you should be OK with 1.99.3.

Here is a presentation we did at Hadoop World explaining the differences between the direct
connector and the generic approach - http://www.slideshare.net/gharriso/from-oracle-to-hadoop-with-sqoop-and-other-tools

David

From: Brian O'Neill [mailto:boneill42@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Brian O'Neill
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 2:44 PM
To: user@sqoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: FWIW - [BLOG] Sqoop 1.99.3 Install Troubles (and fixes)

Thanks all.

I followed up with one more blog entry:
http://brianoneill.blogspot.com/2014/10/sqoop-oracle-example-getting-started.html
(which shows how to get Oracle->HDFS up and running)

I found one more error in the documentation.
(RE: http://sqoop.apache.org/docs/1.99.3/Sqoop5MinutesDemo.html)
The documentation uses the "submission" syntax for submitting the job.
It appears as though 1.99.3 wants the "start" syntax.  We should update the getting started
guide.

Sqoop worked on the first job submission!
Nice work everyone.

thanks again,
-brian

---
Brian O'Neill
Chief Technology Officer

Health Market Science
The Science of Better Results
2700 Horizon Drive * King of Prussia, PA * 19406
M: 215.588.6024 * @boneill42<http://www.twitter.com/boneill42>  *
healthmarketscience.com

This information transmitted in this email message is for the intended recipient only and
may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you received this email in error and
are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient,
please contact the sender at the email above and delete this email and any attachments and
destroy any copies thereof. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, copying or other use
of, or taking any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than
the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.