sqoop-user mailing list archives

From Jack Arenas...@ckarenas.com>
Subject Re: Submitting Sqoop jobs in parallel
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2015 13:16:57 GMT
Abe et al,

How do you mean? Isn't that the point of the --hive-table flag? Based on the schema add the
table to the proper schema.db folder in <path>/Hive/Lab for each sqoop job? I'm not
and yes it's able to ingest the data into HDFS into that folder but hive doesn't recognize
that the tables are there. It's like the step that actually links the data to hive breaks
when parallelized.

Hope this info helps.

Best,
Jack

> On Mar 3, 2015, at 8:46 PM, Abraham Elmahrek <abe@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> Jack,
>
> Just a thought... but have you tried using --target-dir?
>
> -Abe
>
>> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 12:24 PM, Jack Arenas <j@ckarenas.com> wrote:
>> Hi team,
>>
>> I'm building an ETL tool that requires me to pull in a bunch of tables from a db
into HDFS and I'm currently doing this sequentially using Sqoop. I figured it might be a faster
to submit the Sqoop jobs in parallel, that is with a predefined thread pool (currently trying
8) because it took about two hours to ingest 150 tables of various sizes, frankly not very
big tables as this is POC. So sequentially this works fine, but as soon as I add parallelism,
roughly 75% of my Sqoop jobs fail, and I'm not saying that they don't ingest any data, simply
that the data gets stuck in the staging area (I.e /user/username) as opposed to the proper
hive table (I.e /user/username/Hive/Lab). Has anyone experienced this before? I figure I may
be able to shoot a separate process that moves the hive tables from the staging area into
the hive table area, but I'm not sure if that process would simply be to move the tables or
if there is more involved.