sqoop-user mailing list archives

From Brenden Cobb <Brenden.C...@humedica.com>
Subject Re: Record terminator
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2015 16:48:51 GMT
Abe- Thanks for your reply. I was hasty to refer to a limitation as a bug.
On import "--lines-terminated-by" ignores more than one character e.g. "||" will result in
"|".
On Export "--input-lines-terminated-by" accepts more characters, as long as each record is
on a separate line.

For example a file:
whiskers|cat#^
fido|dog#^

This will export fine with "--input-lines-terminated-by '#^'", however a file like "whiskers|cat#^fido|dog#^"
won't break into records properly, writing only one field to the database.

I tested this on the latest version of Sqoop and there's not change. More robust options would
be nice, but upstream workarounds aren't too difficult.

Thanks,
BC

From: Abraham Elmahrek <abe@cloudera.com<mailto:abe@cloudera.com>>
Date: Friday, April 3, 2015 3:13 PM
To: "user@sqoop.apache.org<mailto:user@sqoop.apache.org>" <user@sqoop.apache.org<mailto:user@sqoop.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Record terminator

Hey man,

What bug is this? Also, could you provide your sqoop command?

This probably works in later versions of Sqoop.

-Abe

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 8:25 AM, Brenden Cobb <Brenden.Cobb@humedica.com<mailto:Brenden.Cobb@humedica.com>>
wrote:
Hi-
Running Cloudera's Sqoop 1.4.3, I'm hitting the apparent bug that "--lines-terminated-by"
doesn't honor any value other than newline.

Wondering If there's any direct Sqoop way around this. Also, have later Sqoop releases fixed
this issue?

Thanks for your help.

-BC