sqoop-user mailing list archives

From Shashank Tandon <stan...@expedia.com>
Subject Added patch for the Aqoop Jira : Secure RDBMS password in Sqoop Metastore in a encrypted form
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2016 11:34:39 GMT
Hi Jarec,
              I have added a patch for the Aqoop Jira SQOOP-2801<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SQOOP-2801>
: Secure RDBMS password in Sqoop Metastore in a encrypted form.The review link is https://reviews.apache.org/r/42714/

Description of the work done here :

Currently Sqoop store password in the sqoop metastore in the form of plain text.While running
command, sqoop job --show <job_name> , password becomes visible as plain text.Also anyone
can see the password in metastore db since it is visible in a plain text.In order to provide
more security, CryptoFileLoader class is extended to store password in metastore in encrypted
form.Sqoop will decrypt the password during exec job.In case of show job , the password will
be visible as encrypted manner.User can pass any algorithm and passphrase to encrypt the password
in a similar way as it happens in case of storing password in the File.

We are using sqoop in our project and to save password in Sqoop meta store in a secured manner
, we added the above changes.If you get a chance , please review the same.

Thanks,
Shashank Tandon