sqoop-user mailing list archives

From Sumit Sarkar <Sumit.Sar...@progress.com>
Subject Re: Secure sqoop transfer
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2017 14:55:35 GMT
For option B, there are a couple generic solutions available form my employer.

1) Generic Hybrid JDBC Connectors<https://www.progress.com/cloud-and-hybrid-data-integration>
encrypts data over HTTPS and can run locally or hybrid and 2) SequeLink JDBC-JDBC Socket<https://www.progress.com/connectors/sequelink>
encrypts using TCP/IP. We use option #1 to load our internal data lake via Sqoop and sample
scripts are here<https://www.progress.com/blogs/bulk-data-movement-to-sql-databases-in-hybrid-cloud>
for a hybrid example but works similar if completely run on-premises.

From: Attila Szabó <maugli@apache.org<mailto:maugli@apache.org>>
Date: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 6:30 PM
To: "dev@sqoop.apache.org<mailto:dev@sqoop.apache.org>" <dev@sqoop.apache.org<mailto:dev@sqoop.apache.org>>
Cc: "user@sqoop.apache.org<mailto:user@sqoop.apache.org>" <user@sqoop.apache.org<mailto:user@sqoop.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Secure sqoop transfer

Hey Jagrut,

Do you have a specific RDBMS you'd like to use, or would you like to do it in a generic way?

If A. You should check the specific JDBC driver for the driver/transport level encryption
options/properties, and feed it to the env execution your Sqoop command (Sqoop itself right
now cannot, and IMHO should not implement it's own encryption solutions, as it has to happen
on JDBC level).
if B. AFAIK there is no general solution for this in case of JDBC supported Databases, but
you could try to setup a secure + encrypted VPN network, which will solve this to you out
of the box.

My 2 cents,
Attila

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 6:22 PM, Jagrut Sharma <jagrutsharma@gmail.com<mailto:jagrutsharma@gmail.com>>