sqoop-user mailing list archives

From "Hong, Yifei" <yifei.h...@bankofamerica.com>
Subject Sqoop lists databases/tables but fails to import data with TCP/IP error
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2017 14:55:27 GMT
Hi, Sqoop user community,

I encountered some weird error running Sqoop. Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

For the sql server I am testing with, Sqoop list-databases works well returning all databases
while sqoop list-tables always returns only a small subset of available tables. At least,
connecting to the database via sqoop is fine.

When running sqoop import using query or table, I always got the following TCP/IP connection
error.

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The
TCP/IP connection to the host CRPATLMSQP03, port 15001 has failed. Error: "null. Verify the
connection properties. Make sure that an instance of SQL Server is running on the host and
accepting TCP/IP connections at the port. Make sure that TCP connections to the port are not
blocked by a firewall.".

sqoop import --connect 'jdbc:sqlserver://MSSQLServer:15001;database=SampleDB' \
--username SampleUserName \
-P \
--driver com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver \
--query 'select top 100 * from dbo.SampleData WHERE $CONDITIONS' \
-m 1 \
--split-by LoanNumber \
--target-dir '/tmp/test-sqoop'

After further research today, I did find that other people encountered the similar issue,
but unfortunately there is no clear solution to acknowledge yet. Some speculation is about
the Hadoop cluster is on a different VLAN as the SQL server and the firewalls between them
caused the trouble.

https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/10300/sqoop-importing-from-sql-server-throwing-the-tcpip.html
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34586137/sqoop-importing-from-sql-server-throwing-the-tcp-ip-connection-to-the-host-x-x
http://community.cloudera.com/t5/Data-Ingestion-Integration/Sqoop-lists-tables-but-fails-to-import-data/td-p/39199

Please help advise.

Thanks,
Yifei

This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only, may contain information
that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary and subject to important terms and conditions
available at http://www.bankofamerica.com/emaildisclaimer.   If you are not the intended recipient,
please delete this message.