sqoop-user mailing list archives

From Preethi Krishnan <pkrish...@pandora.com>
Subject Re: Parquet Format Sqoop
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2019 18:31:27 GMT
Thanks for the response Markus and Grzegorz.

Grzegorz, I’m trying to copy the entire tables from postgres to Google Cloud. Did you mean
the approach should be the following?

  *   Use Sqoop to copy the data onto to Cloud in text format.
  *   Run a spark on Cloud (Hadoop cluster) that converts the data from text to parquet.

Thanks
Preethi
From: Grzegorz Solecki <gsolecki8@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, February 25, 2019 at 11:23 AM
To: "user@sqoop.apache.org" <user@sqoop.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Parquet Format Sqoop

Based on our experience, it's better not to use Sqoop to create Parquet files.
Even if you manage to achieve that you create a parquet file then you will have ridiculous
data type problems when it comes to working with Hive metastore.
I recommend Spark SQL when it comes to creating Parquet files.
It works very flawlessly.

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 12:54 PM Markus Kemper <markus@cloudera.com<mailto:markus@cloudera.com>>