sqoop-user mailing list archives

From mark pasterkamp <markpasterk...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: sqoop 1.4.7 nullpointer during import
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2019 18:23:49 GMT
Dear Markus,

Thank you for your reply, I think I managed to make it work (albeit with a few quirks).
I was following https://sqoop.apache.org/docs/1.99.7/admin/Installation.html to setup sqoop
en somewhere it says that you need to setup a hadoop proxy user. Since the version I have
is 1.4.7 I thought I might remove this part and it started to work again.

 I am very grateful for the reply and thank you for your comments, they did help in giving
a bit more understanding.

Mark

________________________________
Van: Markus Kemper <markus@cloudera.com>
Verzonden: dinsdag 5 maart 2019 14:39
Aan: user@sqoop.apache.org
Onderwerp: Re: sqoop 1.4.7 nullpointer during import

Hey Mark,

Couple of comments

  *   Generally I would discourage using the dot "." character with params, you will likely
observe mixed behavior
  *   When using --hive-import Sqoop expects
     *   Hive targets (--hive-database and --hive-table)
     *   The --target-dir becomes transient, a "temp" location not the Hive table path

If you are trying to use Hive Import try

sqoop import \
--bindir ./ \
--connect {database_string} \
--username {user} \
--password {password} \
--table {table_name} \
--hive-import \
--hive-database {hive_database} \
--hive-table {hive_table}
[--hive-overwrite] /* append is the default */
--target-dir /{temporary_staging_dir}/ \
--delete-target-dir \

If you are trying to bypass Hive Import and write directly to the Hive table path try

sqoop import \
--bindir ./ \
--connect {database_string} \
--username {user} \