storm-user mailing list archives

From Parth Brahmbhatt <pbrahmbh...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Clarifications on Storm
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2014 17:18:12 GMT
See inline.

On Dec 5, 2014, at 3:37 AM, Ajay <ajay.garga@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I work for an eCommerce company. Currently we are looking at building a Data warehouse
platform as described below:

> DW as a Service
> REST API
> SQL On No SQL (Drill/Pig/Hive/Spark/Storm)
> No SQL databases (One or more. May be RDBMS directly too)
>     | (Bulk load)
> My SQL Database
>
> I wish to get a few clarifications on Apache Drill as follows:
>
> 1) Can we use Storm on No SQL or do we need to mix them with  Pig/Hive/Spark or any other
for any reason?
	Not sure what you mean here.
> 2) Can Storm be used a query interface for Business Intelligence,  Analytics and Reporting
	The general pattern I have seen is you run storm to do aggregation/filtering and to load
that into a data store that BI people are most familiar with (Hive). If you want Storm as
the query interface you might want to look into Pig On Storm https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PIG/Pig+on+Storm+Proposal.
> 3) Do Storm supports only Hadoop, HBase?. We may use  Cassandra/MongoDb/CouchBase as
well.
	Storm out of the box comes with connectors for Kafka, HDFS and Hbase. However, there are
connectors for many other systems in open source https://github.com/hmsonline/storm-cassandra.
And you can easily add bolts/spouts for any storage engine that you can’t find in open source.
> 4) Do Storm supports RDBMS too?. We can have a single interface to pull out  data from
multiple data sources?
	Not out of the box but I am sure there are open source connectors for this.
> 5) Any recommendations(not limited to usage of Storm) for our specific  requirement described
above.
	I am not entirely sure where in your pipeline you intend to use storm. If its on as SQL on
No SQL store , storm might not be a good fit right now as I don’t think Pig on storm is
available in open source yet.

> Thanks
> Ajay
>
> Note : I have posted a similar post on the Drill and Spark User list as well as I am
not sure which one best fits for our usecase.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE