Over the long term the partitions would be used evenly, but unless you change the partitioning scheme or message key then at any given time only one partition will be receiving *new* messages.

If you want to test that your topology properly distributes the work at the spout level, you could try loading from the beginning of your topic rather than from the end.

To do that, set these values in your TridentKafkaConfig:

spoutConf.forceFromStart = true;
spoutConf.startOffsetTime = kafka.api.OffsetRequest.EarliestTime(); // actually the default, so you don't necessarily need this line